Picea sitchensis 'Papoose'
Papoose Sitka Colorado Blue Spruce
- Slow grower at only 2" per year.
- Dense globe habit when young, maturing to a broad conical shape.
- Cylindrical green cones turn to a pale brown.
- Can tolerate coastal conditions.
- Will not tolerate extreme heat.
Height: 4-6 ft
Spread: 4-6 ft
Hardiness Zone: 5
- Border or Bed
- Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moist, Well-Drained
Slow grower, showing only about 2" per year. Foliage color and texture are key elements with new growth being soft to the touch and a beautiful blue-green. Over time it will develop a leader, producing a short dome shape. Provides great contrast with perennials, makes a nice groundcover for wildlife. Excellent for a rock garden, small entry ways, containers, or as a specimen. Discovered as a seedling growing in the forests of Vancouver Island, Brittish Columbia.
Mature Papoose in the landscape.
Mark with a #5 Papoose Spruce at OPN.
Papoose Spruce at Oregon Pride.